Julie Tunstall founded Mastermind Finder to help entrepreneurs find the most appropriate accountability partners at each stage of their business. She wants to help you build momentum by hanging out with people who will motivate you to grow.
She has spent the last few years redesigning her life including moving, working for herself and helping her fiancé Chris start his own business. Many of the decisions she made were not understood by those around her, so she knows the importance of hanging out with liked-minded people when you want to make a big change in your life.
Julia felt her first “stuck” moment while working at a large company. She realized it wasn’t for her, and decided to start saving up as much money as she could. She ended up putting this money towards investing in real estate. She continued to do this until she realized that the income wasn’t going to be enough to support her desired lifestyle.
She eventually decided to team up with her then-boyfriend Chris to work on his mixology company, A Bar Above. Through that experience she learned all about developing a website and an online business.
The idea for Mastermind Finder had always been on her mind, but recently she finally decided to execute on her idea. Now up and running, she wants to help match entrepreneurs with similar goals who are willing to hold each other accountable.
Key UnStuckable Takeaway
Your goal may take time, but it will be worth it!
Nothing in life worth going after comes easy. If you have a goal in mind, stick with it, no matter how long it takes to get there. It took Julia a long time to reach her goals, but she stuck with them anyway and she has never been happier. If there is something you want, you just have to go after and stick with it. It will be worth it in the end.
Quick Action to Get Unstuck
Complete the “Perfect Day” exercise.
This exercise includes imagining what your perfect day would be like. Give yourself some time to think and write down anything that comes to mind. What would your day consist of? Where would you be and what would you be doing? You don’t have to imagine what your entire life will look like, just one ideal day. Once you know what it is, you can moving your life torwad it.
UnStuckable Quotes From Julia
“Having people around who are discouraging you is the worst.”
“I needed to find those people who understood.”
“It’s really difficult to find mastermind groups.”
“I was hopeless from the very beginning I suppose.”
“I want to be in charge of my life. I want to be the boss of my life.”
“I knew I didn’t want to start a conventional business.”
“I started saving every cent I could find.”
“Don’t get talked into a business.”
“Building a business is not a part-time thing.”
More Habits & Actions
- Listen to podcasts. Julia says she listened to all sorts of podcasts when she was feeling stuck and needed guidance. You can listen to them during your down time, while you are exercising, or while you are in the car.
- Find like-minded people. The entire idea behind a mastermind group is to be with people who will keep you motivated and who are in the same boat you are.
- Don’t quit your job until you are ready. Julia started her business on the side while still working at her job. This allowed her to maintain an income while starting her business.
- Julia saved up as much money as she could when she could. This allowed her to live on her savings a little bit while starting her business.
- Focus on increasing your income, decreasing your expenses, and adding to your savings.
- Every week Julia meets with her husband to go over their budget. It’s important to not only know what you make each year, but to know what you spend each year.
- Have multiple sources of income if you can. This way if one source fails, you still have the others to fall back on. For Julia this was her real estate business, her consulting work, and her and her husband’s websites.
Questions & Feedback
Thank you for listening. If you like something you heard in the show, let Julia, Chris and Stephen know by tweeting us @unstuckable
If you’re a big fan of the Unstuckable podcast and think it can help other people get unstuck in their careers, please rate and review it on iTunes by clicking here.
Thank you for for your support and let’s get unstuck!