During college Kyle studied commerce, but eventually switched to studying the history of the modern world. While he was still in school he started a small clothing company. He made the designs himself, and sold them online, making a huge profit.
After graduating, he came up with the idea for an online learning platform. After pitching to several investors and getting turned down, he moved to Chile to build his platform as part of an accelerator program there.
He now offers online courses to help people learn faster, increase their productivity and provide them with the tools to create their own jobs.
Key UnStuckable Takeaway
Develop a learning habit!
Most of us abandoned our learning habit about once we left school. Even worse, too many of use never learned the skill of “self learning” or cultivating our internal motivation to teach ourselves something new. Get your self learning habit kick started by:
1. Make a list of things you might want to learn. Do you want to acquire more knowledge about a specific topic. do you want to learn a new skill?
2. Create regular learning goals on a weekly, monthly or annual basis.
3. As you learn, try keeping a journal to assess your preferred learning style to better understand how you learn most effectively.
4. Discover how to make learning more fun for yourself. If you make learning fun, you’ll be more likely to stick to your learning goals!
Quick Action to Get Unstuck
Take an online course!
UnStuckable Quotes From Kyle
“I got into this to live on my own terms.”
“95% of startups fail because their vision is too big.”
“I’m not in to making tons of money.”
“I’m a bit of a minimalist.”
“It’s so easy to start a business now.”
“The ultimate competitive advantage is to be able to learn faster.”
“When your mind settles down, you’re more in tune with yourself.”
More Habits & Actions
- Kyle meditates every morning for 20 minutes. He says that meditation helps him to be more present. During his 20 minutes he focuses on observing his thoughts and feelings.
- When starting a business that either provides a service or sells a product, get feedback along the way. When Kyle was building a new product, he got feedback along the way instead of waiting until it was complete.
- If you can’t think of an idea for a business, look at the problems in your own life. Then, think of a way to solve this problem. Chances are, other people are having this problem too.
- Consider living abroad. Kyle occasionally lives elsewhere because it is cheaper and allows him to focus solely on work.
- Kyle says to start your business now, and worry about expanding it later.
- Learn from your mistakes. If you can learn where you went wrong, you can avoid making the same mistakes in the future and save yourself time.
- Lastly, Kyle recommends creating a community around you. Whether it be online or in person, find other people who either doing what you want to do, or learning what you want to learn.
Questions & Feedback
Thank you for listening. If you like something you heard in the show, let Kyle, Chris and Stephen know by tweeting us @unstuckable
If you’re a big fan of the Unstuckable podcast and think it can help other people get unstuck in their careers, please rate and review it on iTunes by clicking here.
Thank you for for your support and let’s get unstuck!