Bo Cordle is chasing his dream while being realistic about it at the same time. Bo’s goal is to sail around the world by himself. He is also developing a curriculum for children about what he is learning along the way.
Sailing wasn’t always a passion for Bo. He studied video production during college with the hopes of being a director at a major sports news network. After working in this field for a few years, he realized that his goal would take at least 10-20 years to achieve, just because of the nature of the industry.
Bo ended up shifting into a new career where he teaches people how to operate Jumbotrons as a consultant. After about four years, he began to feel stuck. Since then he has been using his job to fund his sailing venture, while taking the necessary steps to prepare for his journey. It is taking longer than he expected, but he says that this hasn’t deterred him yet.
Key UnStuckable Takeaway
Bring realism to your dream!
It’s great to have a crazy dream, but you also have to be somewhat realistic about it. People who are not realistic about their dream either never act on them or they give up on them too soon. Bo brought realism to his dream and because of that, even four years into working on it, he is still as committed as ever.
Quick Action to Get Unstuck
Pick a date in the future and write down what you want your day to look like on that date.
We’ve heard from other guests that visualizing where you want to be is important, and Bo is no different. Knowing where you want to go is a vital step. If you don’t know where you want to go, it is hard to know how to get there. Take some time to think about what you want your future to look like, and jot some ideas down. This may not come to you in just a few minutes, so take your time and think it over for a little while.
UnStuckable Quotes From Bo
“My dream job was no longer my dream job.”
“You get this gut feeling that this isn’t what I want to do anymore.”
“There are so many people making money in ridiculous ways.”
“Everyday I did something that would get me closer to sailing around the world.”
“There’s so many actual real things in the world – that aren’t video games.”
“There’s a light at the end of the tunnel, I know what I’m working towards.”
More Habits & Actions
- Create a bucket list for yourself. Bo did this and it helped him to realize that he wanted to sail around the world. Think about all of the things you want to accomplish during your life and write them down.
- Don’t quit your job just yet. Bo stayed on as a consultant in order to fund his project. Don’t quit until you have the money you need to get started on whatever your dream is.
- Have an exit plan. Before moving onto something else, be sure to plan how you will do it. Before leaving one job to start something else, Bo gave his employer six months notice so he could transition the right way.
- Do something to inspire others. For Bo, he is trying to complete his goal in a way that will be inspiring, which is why he is creating the curriculum for children.
- Bo says that to be unstuckable, you have to be willing to take the first step, even if you don’t know what the second step is.
Questions & Feedback
Thank you for listening. If you like something you heard in the show, let Bo, Chris and Stephen know by tweeting us @unstuckable
If you’re a big fan of the Unstuckable podcast and think it can help other people get unstuck in their careers, please rate and review it on iTunes by clicking here.
Thank you for for your support and let’s get unstuck!