Thomas Frank wants to help you hack your productivity. He believes the trick is not getting more done in less time, it’s about focusing on what you really want to get done in the first place.
He is the founder of College Info Geek, a site containing resources for students to be awesome at college. He is also currently working on his first book called Hacking Productivity.
During his college years, Thomas started getting into blogs. He read various articles online which helped him when he was a freshman. He soon decided he wanted to start his own blog that was geared toward helping students transition into college. As the years went on, his blog became more and more popular, so much so that he was able to turn it into his career after he graduated.
Key UnStuckable Takeaway
Being productive means focusing on what you really want to get done!
There are many things you can do in your life to cut down on time, but if you aren’t using your saved time properly, it doesn’t make much of a difference. In order to be productive, you have to understand your goals and you have to stay focused on them.
Quick Action to Get Unstuck
Be more mindful of the little things going on in your life.
Ask yourself some simple questions to help you be more mindful. What are your life’s dependencies now and in the future? What time do you need to leave for work? When are your bills due? By being more aware of the things you need to do in your life, so you will be more organized and less stressed.
UnStuckable Quotes From Thomas
“The site was born out of a failure.”
“A blog is going to help me become a better writer.”
“My mission in life is to help people destroy student debt as much as possible.”
“I can improve almost any process and make it easier.”
“It’s important to keep your productivity systems simple.”
“For me, I just do what works.”
More Habits & Actions
- To stay focused on his goals, Thomas builds “Impossible Lists”. This is like a bucket list, but the goals evolve over time based on where you currently are. For example, on your list might be “lost 15 pounds”. When you get there, you modify your goal to “lose 20 pounds”.
- Thomas also takes each of his goals and breaks them down into tiny actions to make them more manageable.
- Think outside of the box. As you’ll hear in our interview, Thomas discovered a more efficient way to complete a tedious task he was given while working at his internship.
- Become more mindful. Take a few days and write down how you spend your time.
- Thomas has set up a foolproof wake up method to get himself out of bed. He has scheduled a message to go out on Twitter ten minutes after his alarm goes off. If he doesn’t turn the message off, it will inform his followers that he is lazy, and offers a monetary reward to the first five people that message him. This ensures that he gets out of bed each morning.
- To help yourself in the morning, Thomas says to get out of bed right away and don’t hit the snooze button. If you stay in bed, you’ll convince yourself to go back to sleep.
- Another wakeup tactic to use in the morning is to go for a walk. The fresh air and sunlight are good energy sources and will get you going.
Questions & Feedback
Thank you for listening. If you like something you heard in the show, let Thomas, Chris and Stephen know by tweeting us @unstuckable
If you’re a big fan of the Unstuckable podcast and think it can help other people get unstuck in their careers, please rate and review it on iTunes by clicking here.
Thank you for for your support and let’s get unstuck!