Bryan Harris is a master of getting things done, and he wants you to be able to say the same. As the founder of Video Fruit, Bryan provides video tutorials for entrepreneurs on how to grow a business.
Before starting Video Fruit, Bryan worked at an engineering company and held several marketing positions. He always felt the calling to become an entrepreneur. He finally decided to quit his job to work for himself. Throughout his life he has started over 20 different businesses, all in different niches.
Bryan says the key to his success is knowing your “why” and letting it direct your actions. He has a list of habits that enable him to be productive each day as he focuses on growing his business. During our interview, he shared some of his best productivity habits, so that you can get as much done as he does!
Key UnStuckable Takeaway
Take every action with great intention!
When you are building something, make sure every action you take has purpose. Know why you are building what you are building, and make sure the tasks you are doing is something that leads to your “why”.
It is also important to understand your strengths and your weaknesses. When Bryan is lacking in a certain skill set, he goes out and learns more about that skill. This allows him to properly do the tasks required to build his business.
Quick Action to Get Unstuck
Write 250 words per day.
Bryan says that no matter what your job is, writing is one of your most valuable skills. By writing just 250 words per day, you can increase your writing skill, along with many other benefits.
Writing things down helps you assimilate information better and to untangle your thoughts. It doesn’t matter what you write, as long as you write each day. It can be a long email or a Facebook post, a journal entry, etc.
The long-term benefits of being able to communicate your thoughts in writing is something that should not be overlooked.
UnStuckable Quotes From Bryan
“I don’t think of it as succeeding or not succeeding, that’s too finite and life’s too fluid for that.”
“I always wanted to work for someone who was smarter than me and worked harder than me, because I never had.”
“Have a really good ‘Why’.”
“The philosophy is be a good dude.”
“The thing I love is teaching.”
“The goal is to have a plan. To be intentional with your time.”
“Everything comes back to writing.”
“No matter what happens, if you get stuck, you have to keep going.”
More Habits & Actions
- Validate your idea. According to Bryan, don’t start building your idea until you get someone to pay for it. Don’t worry about someone stealing your idea. Make sure your idea is a good one by finding someone willing to pay for it even before you start executing on it.
- Give stuff away. If you are building a product or starting a service, consider giving it away for free to a group of people. This will allow you to build your skills and form valuable connections. Don’t do it with the expectation that you’ll get something back, but for the reason of wanting to help.
- Take time to build your skills. If you are not good at something that will be required for your business, learn as much as you can about it now. Take the time to learn new skills either before you start or while you still have a job.
- One of the keys to Bryan’s productivity is his daily checklist. Each morning he has a list of simple things he needs to do to start off his day. By knocking these few quick things off his list early, he starts the day on a productive note.
- Another method that Bryan uses is planning out every hour of his day. Each hour is assigned a task in advance, so that when the time comes he doesn’t have to worry about what to do next. All he has to do is act on the task at hand and not focus on planning.
- Lastly, Bryan says the key to being Unstuckable is to be persistent. Even if things aren’t going your way, just keep going. Some of the greatest people in the world get stuck, and the only way to get through it is to just be persistent.
Questions & Feedback
Thank you for listening. If you like something you heard in the show, let Bryan, Chris and Stephen know by tweeting us @unstuckable
If you’re a big fan of the Unstuckable podcast and think it can help other people get unstuck in their careers, please rate and review it on iTunes by clicking here.
Thank you for for your support and let’s get unstuck!